What You Should Know About Oral Cancer
About one person in this country succumbs to oral cancer every hour. And what you may find even more surprising is that more people die from throat and mouth cancers than skin or cervical cancer. So… what can you do to lower your risk? Your dentist in Aurora provides oral cancer checks every time you come in for a routine cleaning and checkup. We can spot the early signs.
When you visit us, we’ll inspect your smile for the following:
- White or red patches
- Bumps or lumps in your mouth/around the neck
- Pain in the ear
- Numbness or bleeding
- Sores that stick around
- Challenges swallowing, chewing, or moving the jaw
- Never-ending cough
- A hoarse voice
- Changes to how teeth line up
- Breathing trouble.
When we speak about oral cancer, that encompasses cancer of the soft tissues of the tonsils, tongue, cheek, lips, salivary glands, soft palate, and pharynx. Early detection is vital in increasing the likelihood of a favorable prognosis.
A few quick oral cancer statistics
- With an early diagnosis, the five-year survival rate goes from 65 to 84%.
- The average diagnosis age is 62.
- Double the number of men get it compared to women.
- It’s the eighth most common cancer among men.
- One-quarter of cases show up in people under the age of 55.
- If it spreads (metastasizes), the five-year survival rate is 39%.
At Village Green Dental, oral cancer checks are an integral part of routine checkups and cleanings. We are always looking out for your smile and your overall health and wellness. If you notice any changes to your mouth that you’re concerned about, please reach out right away.
Oral Cancer Check Are Part Of Your Routine Visits
- A quick and easy process
- It happens during your checkup
- Early detection equals improved outcomes
- No additional fees
- It can be a lifesaver.